CT 399 PORTFOLIO DESIGN
1 cr., 4hrs. on 7 Fridays scheduled at the first 2hr. meeting of the class.
Michael Branson Smith
Flickr, Youtube, Soundcloud
Email: michaelbransonsmith [at] gmail [dot] com
Office Hours: M 12-2PM, or by appointment
Course Description: Students learn to develop a portfolio relevant to their chosen concentration in the Communications Technology Major. Professional statement writing and the fundamentals of analog, digital and web-based portfolios will be covered. Critique of fellow students’ portfolio elements is a requirement of the course.
Learning Objectives: To develop an understanding of, and the abilities for,
• Understand portfolio types and purposes
• Select and use existing portfolio technologies
• Select portfolio samples
• Rework samples for portfolio presentation
• Prepare a resume and a cover letter
• Write an artist’s statement
• Write a critical self-evaluation
• Develop a project proposal
• Conduct an internship search
• Submit work to a festival or competition
• Collect appropriate reference letters
• Organize and present a portfolio
• Update and store a lifelong portfolio
Required materials for class: You will need access to a variety of web-based accounts as well as previous work completed that you would like to curate into a portfolio/digital presence.
Resume Preparation, Internship Search 25%
Final Project Preparation, Draft Proposal 25%
Digital Presence Plan/Implementation 25%
Policy on INC grades:
- The student must be passing the course, and have work remaining to complete the course requirements.
- The student must request an INC grade.
- The instructor must approve whether the student has a valid reason for not completing course requirements and has reasonable expectation that the student can in fact successfully complete the requirements of the course within the allotted time.
Pollcy on Academic Integrity: York’s Academic Integrity Policy & Procedures, developed to conform to the CUNY policy on Academic Integrity, can be found at: http://york.cuny.edu/president/legal-compliance/legal-affairs/cuny-legal-policies-procedures/Academic-Integrity-Policy.pdf/view
Policy on accommodations for disabled students: Information about the services provided to students at York College can be found at the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities, located in room AC-1002, and on-line at: http://york.cuny.edu/student-development/ossd